21 April 2015

U.S. Presidentiables Supports Traditional Unions

US Presidentiables
According to a report by Ali Elkin of Bloomberg, more and more U.S. Presidential candidates are distancing themselves from the issue of same-sex marriage (SSM) for good reason. During the last election, liberal candidates were badly thrashed by their conservative opponents because the voters do not support SSM.

Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio says he does not believe sexual orientation is a choice for the "enormous majority of people."

The Florida senator's comments came on CBS's Face the Nation, where he said that it should be up to states rather than the Supreme Court to define marriage and that he considers marriage to be between a man and a woman.

"I also don't believe that your sexual preferences are a choice for the vast and enormous majority of people. In fact, the bottom line is, I believe that sexual preference is something people are born with," Rubio said.

He and other Republican presidential hopefuls have faced questions in recent days about their positions on same-sex marriage as the nation's top court prepares for what is expected to be a broad ruling on the constitutionality of the issue in June.

American voters do not support the right of same-sex couples to wed, as reflected by the growing support for the traditional stand of the Republican Party. The Gallup poll pegged it at 30 percent of the population.

In an interview with Fusion, Rubio said he would attend a same-sex wedding.

"If it’s somebody in my life that I care for, of course I would," he said. "I’m not going to hurt them simply because I disagree with a choice they’ve made or because I disagree with a decision they’ve made, or whatever it may be."

Texas Senator Ted Cruz said he has never had to make such a decision, dodging the question. Former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum, who has not announced a campaign yet, said he would not attend such a wedding.

Ohio Governor John Kasich, another possible candidate, said he and his wife had been invited to a same-sex wedding and plan to attend, CNN reported.

"I went home and I said to my wife, 'My friend's getting married. What do you think? You wanna go?' She goes, 'Oh, I'm absolutely going.' I called him today and said, 'Hey, just let me know what time it is,'" Kasich said, according to the report. "My friend knows how I feel about the issue, but I'm not here to have a war with him. I care about my friend, and so it's pretty simple for me."