13 November 2013

Children Bear the Brunt of Typhoon Yolanda

Child Victims
Children are the ones who are mostly affected by Super Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) when it hit the central part of the Philippines on 8 November 2013. It left a storm of destruction in its wake. At present, children who survived the onslaught urgently need access to safe water, hygiene supplies, food, shelter and a safe environment to recover.

According to the reports of Kevin Voigt from CNN, "with spotty communications in the wake of one of the largest storms in history, some survivors are reduced to turning to television cameras to tell far-flung family members the worst of news."

The report also quoted the pleas of some of the survivors who lost their children during the storm surge. Below is part of that report:
"I'm just letting you know, Josie is gone. Please forgive me, I couldn't save her, because we all got separated from each other when the strong waves hit," said the man, tears rolling down his face as he spoke to CNN affiliate ABS-CBN about his daughter's death. "We got separated.

"I couldn't even hold on to my child ... Josie is on the corner. Her body has been there three days," he tells the camera.

"To the mother of my kids, who's currently living in Virginia, I know that you'll watch this: Justin and Ella are gone," another unidentified man tells ABS-CBN. "They are both dead."

In the United Arab Emirates, Naicy Yu Bono is gripped with pain and fear after the storm ravaged her hometown of Tacloban. Among the family members missing are her mother and two daughters, 8-year-old Rheinzi and 22-year-old Reanne.

"My last communication with my eldest (daughter) was Friday 1 a.m.," she told CNN's Leone Lakhani. "She sent me a Whatsapp (text message). She said, 'Mummy I'm so scared because the wind is so strong.'"

Bono has been in the UAE -- the fourth largest home of Filipinos expatriates with about 680,000 migrant workers -- for the past six months working to send cash back to her family at home. Now she is at the Philippine embassy preparing to leave the country. "I'm going to find my daughters," she said."